Saturday, July 9, 2011

Leaving Seoul: Destination Unknown Day 1 (Friday, July 8th)

This morning, we said our goodbyes to the great city of Seoul as we continue our journey down south to the Yeungnam University and the city of Yuengju by bullet train. However, that is not as easy as it may seem with 15 people traveling with 35 bags weighing over 1500 pounds.  Our train was scheduled to depart at 9:30 in the morning. Even though we started to leave the hotel early, we did not meet back up until really late. As we left in groups to the taxi, we had a difficult time locating everyone. I decided to go with the luggage carrier to the ticketing area while my car group wait for everyone else to arrive. I wait…it is now 9:09. I wait some more…it is now 9:17. I wait a little longer….it is now 9:20. Did I come to the wrong location, and everyone is looking for me? Should I have stayed with my group? Is there another ticket booth that I was not aware? All of these questions came to mind as I stood there with the non-English speaking bag handler, and it is now 9:22. Finally, I see 10 of my group members one direction and Dr. Suh hurriedly walking toward us reminding us that the train is about to leave. With nearly a ton of luggage in tow, we scurry to down the hall, down the escalator to train car #5. It is now 8:29. We made it on the train!! After organizing our luggage, we finally rested and enjoyed the ride either sleeping or enjoying the scenic countryside.


After running for the train and loading luggage.

Upon arrival, we were met by Ajin representatives who whisked us away to Yeungnam University for a lunch with the Dean of the College of Engineering, the Dean of International Cooperation, and other university officials. While there, we also attend some of the International Baja SAE competition. This is a competition where college students from all over Korea and other countries compete in various categories to see who has built the best car. One of the events we saw was the all-terrain competition where the team drives the vehicle up a mound of boulders. Whichever team gets the farthest wins. While watching, Dr. Dagley, Jackie, Karen, and I were interviewed by an NBC affiliate about the Baja SAE competition. It was amazing! As we were about to leave the competition, I admire the small electric car sitting in the parking lot and decided that I wanted to take a picture beside. Unbeknownst to me, it was the competition organizer’s car. He asked if I wanted to drive and I immediately said, “Yes”. So, Karen and I took a quick spin in it. That made my day!









We continued our day trip not knowing exactly where we were going. It was a surprise to everyone. We got on the bus and traveled 1 ½ hours from Daegu to Sosu Seowon, which is the first Confucian Academy financially supported by King Jungjong in 1543. On this site, we toured the original classrooms, dormitories, and museum dedicated to the Joseon Dynasty.



Once we finished our tour, we met Mr. Seo, CEO of Ajin for dinner in the Seonbichon Village adjacent to the Sosu Seowon. Once again, the dinner was unique, but delicious. I enjoyed sampling all of the food they provided. While eating Mr. Seo said a few words and welcomed us to his country. This is my second time meeting him, and he is quite down-to-earth and does not make anyone feel like they are less than him. He is quite comical as well. He had me laughing all night!!
For tea and dessert, we dressed in the traditional garb Confucians would drink their tea and eat their dessert in. Once we all put it on, I felt like we were graduating from somewhere. One of the women in the village showed us the proper way to make our tea and then the proper way to drink it. I do not think my fraternity brothers would enjoy the way I was taught when we are hanging out watching football. I may get talked about for awhile. However, it was a fun experience.




At this point, the sun has gone down and the moon is shining brightly in the sky. But wait, where is our hotel? Wow, we have a long drive back to Daegu. Not exactly!!!!! We were surprised to learn that we would be sleeping in the village tonight. That’s right…….in the village where they have traditional hotel rooms. This is a room with no beds and no bathroom except for the community bathroom. It is literally just an empty room. They have beautiful pillows and quilts provided in the closet to make a pallet to sleep on.
After the initial shock, we unpacked and met back outside under the tent for karaoke and snacks. I was so impressed with how well some of my colleagues sing and perform when you place a microphone in front of them. Especially my roommate, Bruce. Together, we performed a masterful interpretation of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” I was also impressed with our Korean guide, Duke, who sang Elvis Presley’s “Love Me Tender”.



It was quite an adventurous and fun-filled day, but after a few hours of karaoke, it was definitely time to get some rest. Still kept in the dark, we were just told that we would meet for breakfast at 8:30.

A special thanks to our friends from Ajin who have been very gracious and helped us today.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! I would say this was the most unique day, yet! Awesone recap and pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete